[conspire] running without a DE- ancilliary tools? [was Re: (forw) Re: InstallFest on Apr. 13th]

Tony Godshall togo at of.net
Tue Apr 16 22:14:45 PDT 2013

A good day to be grumpy.  Formerly very reliable and open speakeasy
has become opaque and monolithic megapath, and I had to fart around
with iptables and netcat to get email rerouted around them.

I quoted you and forked the conversation, by the way, because you
illustrated a point quite well.  Sorry, I didn't mean it to be a
personal and direct query, but I did reply all which did put your name
first, and I understand now how you took it so.  No disingenuouseness
intended.

On Tue, Apr 16, 2013 at 5:38 PM, Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com> wrote:
> Quoting Tony Godshall (togo at of.net):
>
>> And indeed I had done some, and got a bit stuck.  I've learned to use
>> iwconfig and arping and nmap and have fought with network-manager and
>> wpa-supplicant.  I've tried to read convoluted code and backed away.
>> Perhaps you'd have preferred if I'd have spelled all that out.
>
> Because those of us who do online help are at some risk of getting surly
> and cynical, especially when busy and tired, it is sometimes handy to
> briefly summarise what you've already tried in your own investigations
> before asking others for help.  No obligation; it just shows you did
> some of the basics.  (That also might help others avoid chewing up time
> looking into those same basics.)
>
> I was a little more than usually at risk for being surly and cycnic this
> busy Tuesday mid-morning, because my mother-in-law had woken me early,
> out of a very pleasant sleep, saying 'Rick, I think we need to do
> something.  The freezer's melted.'  As it turned out, her notion of 'we'
> did not include herself:  She offered no help whatsoever at any point
> over the next hour, and instead stood intermittantly in my way and asked
> me poorly thought-out, interfering questions as I was trying to carry
> out corrective pragmatic actions.
>
> So, I can perhaps be forgiven a little cynicism when faced shortly
> thereafter with someone asking me[1] questions on a very busy workday
> while showing absolutely no sign of having done any investigation
> himself.  And, worse, _then_ attempting to guilt-trip me for
> insufficiently assisting unidentified GNOME and KDE users who are not in
> evidence and who are not in any obvious way my problem to begin with.
>
> [1] Protest all you want that you were intending to address your query
> to the mailing list generally and not particularly at me, but that is
> rather disingenuous when you were responding to and quoting my upthread
> postings.  So, sorry, no, you were pretty much primarily asking me.

Best Regards.
This is unedited.