[conspire] (forw) Re: InstallFest on Apr. 13th

Tony Godshall togo at of.net
Fri Apr 12 19:59:41 PDT 2013

[doh, resend with reply all]

>> P.S. - I would like to configure a dual-boot set up, as I need THAT other
>> operating system from time-to-time (sorry!).
>
> People keep asking for dual-boot, ...
>
> Advantage over dual-booting:  You can use both OSes concurrently,
> instead of continually needing to shut down and reboot to use the other
> OS.

and also- the entire windows hard drive is just a file.  so you can
back it up with tar or cp.  and when it gets infected, you can restore
it with tar or cp.

> Disadvantage relative to dual-booting:  There is some RAM and CPU
> overhead.

in my tests, windows xp and vista ran faster under debian than they
did on bare hardware.  windows utilized memory poorly and cached
poorly.  it's possible these defects have been fixed.  but microsoft
seems to have other priorities (marketing featuritis)

Best Regards.
This is unedited.