[conspire] Fw: Sixty Years of Lafayette Radio

Ross Bernheim rossbernheim at speakeasy.net
Wed Apr 3 20:20:28 PDT 2013

Rick,

Lafayette Radio went out of business in the '90s. There was a Lafayette radio store on 9th Street in
San Francisco for many years. My father worked there for a number of years. The owner sold it to the
Lafayette franchise owner in Sacramento who moved the store to Market street. I worked there for a couple
of years. The new owner also had a store in Berkeley as well as several in the Sacramento area.

For years, Johnson and Lafayette dominated the CB market. When I was at the SF store, all the Radio Shack
stores referred customers to me when they couldn't answer questions or solve problems with CBs. I got a lot
of business from them.

I also worked at the Lafayette Radio store in Honolulu for several years while I went to college and for a couple of
years after. Lafayette had some very good stereo receivers at the time.

What did Lafayette in was when they hired a new President from JC Penny. He brought in a bunch of his buddies
and forced out the old timers with knowledge of the electronics and hi fi industry. They proceeded to try and out
Radio Shack Radio Shack. A disaster that destroyed the company.

Ross