[conspire] (forw) Re: Fwd: Gnome-shell very slow on boot

Ruben ruben at mrbrklyn.com
Mon Nov 26 16:01:38 PST 2012

On 11/26/2012 05:06 PM, Rick Moen wrote:
> Quoting Ruben Safir (ruben at mrbrklyn.com):
>
>> Its not well integrated into udev (which is a moving target anyway).
> I've gotten far in life by mostly ignoring udev, and wmaker doing
> likewise strikes me as a fine idea.  E.g., if I want to load a device
> driver for a block device, mount it, and name it, I will do so, and am
> actively annoyed by some piece of software doing it for me.  (Your
> Mileage May Differ, and Feel Free to Maintain Your Own Fork.[tm])

The trouble is that I need to otherwise keep chmoding the /dev/cdrom and
/dev/dvd device to play a dvd or a cd.  And then it reverts back.

> Anyhow, because udev wasn't already overengineered and annoying enough,
> it got merged into systemd a few months ago.  So, I believe you meant to
> say 'It's not well integrated into systemd (which is a moving target
> anyway).'
>
> And all of that's chozzeroi from freedesktop.org, reducing this to a
> previous joke.

Well, those ADD teenagers need to stay busy, otherwise they can become a
threat to US interests abroad and the RIAA.

>> and I'd like to see better native wifi access and hooks for firefox
>> and other apps to change the root window background other than XV.
> Doesn't seem like a window manager's job, to me.  (Repeat prior
> disclaimer.)

Yeah but..

iwconfig doesn't work properly or with all the needed security
protocols.  On a laptop, it is convientent to have access to wireless,
but that is just an opinion.  Currently I'm using the nm-applet onto a
wmaker docket called wmsystemtray.

>> It also has no native file manager, don't ask why.
> Modularity is your friend.  So is bash.

I'm currently using dolphin.