[conspire] (forw) Re: Fwd: Gnome-shell very slow on boot

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Mon Nov 26 14:06:09 PST 2012

Quoting Ruben Safir (ruben at mrbrklyn.com):

> Its not well integrated into udev (which is a moving target anyway).

I've gotten far in life by mostly ignoring udev, and wmaker doing
likewise strikes me as a fine idea.  E.g., if I want to load a device
driver for a block device, mount it, and name it, I will do so, and am
actively annoyed by some piece of software doing it for me.  (Your
Mileage May Differ, and Feel Free to Maintain Your Own Fork.[tm])

Anyhow, because udev wasn't already overengineered and annoying enough,
it got merged into systemd a few months ago.  So, I believe you meant to
say 'It's not well integrated into systemd (which is a moving target
anyway).'

And all of that's chozzeroi from freedesktop.org, reducing this to a
previous joke.

> and I'd like to see better native wifi access and hooks for firefox
> and other apps to change the root window background other than XV.

Doesn't seem like a window manager's job, to me.  (Repeat prior
disclaimer.)

> It also has no native file manager, don't ask why.

Modularity is your friend.  So is bash.