[conspire] cabal

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Fri Mar 23 00:45:44 PDT 2012

Quoting Ruben Safir (ruben at mrbrklyn.com):

> Not to spam you on this topic, but I really liked this one
>
> fit-PC2 SSD fit-PC2-D1G-C1600-H8-W 1600 MHz 1 GB + 8 GB SSD
>
> It has wireless built in and an SSD drive..  Now if I can get a 32
> gig ssd drive on there I'd be a little happier.

The problem I had with the fit-PC2 series is inadequate I/O for mass
storage.  That is, I insist on being able to run a RAID1 mirror for
storage; a system with room for only one internal mass-storage device is
OK _only_ if it also has some sort of adequately good connector for an
external mass-storage device, too.  The fit-PC2 series failed:  Its best
external connector port was USB2, and that just isn't good enough for
main storage.

Firewire would have been good enough.  eSATA is definitely good enough,
and that's what makes the difference with the fit-PC3.

It was frustrating, following closely the literature about this class of
low-power devices, getting my hopes up every time they'd talk about
improved I/O -- and then finding out all they meant was faster video.