[conspire] kernal crash reported // for wifi?

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Fri Jun 8 23:26:26 PDT 2012

Quoting Ken Bernard (kenbernard at gmail.com):

> Hi -
> It is generally accepted in this thread that the reported kernel crash, is
> caused by improperly or erroneously installed efforts at getting wifi
> working on my Lenovo ThinkPad. My approach of doing (blindly) what was
> reported on the web a solution to get wifi up and running has caused the
> problem.
>
> I wonder however - Is the reported kernel crash, an extreme event for my
> machine or its software environment?

I really don't know, man.  You have unique knowledge of what you've done
to your system other than just put a default installation of CentOS 6.0
onto it.  Generically, something you do in kernelspace, which obviously
includes kernel modules (e.g., hardware drivers) can potentially cause
the kernel to 'oops' or segfault.  (You said 'crash', and I don't know
what that specifically refers to.  'Crash' is a vague term.)

If my system were suffering kernel oopses frequently, I might crosscheck
by running the system for a day or three using some entirely different
live-CD distro, instead of the HD-installed distro.  If the kernel
oopses continue, then you've just learned that the HD-installed distro
(and its configuration) is no longer a suspect.  In that case, you might
reasonably suspect a hardware problem.

Conversely, if the kernel oopses stop, then you can rightly suspect some
part of the HD-installed distro and its configuration.

The foregoing is really nothing more than basic logic, but honestly
computer hardware and software debugging most commonly requires nothing
more than careful logic and attention.

FWIW, the last time I was having kernel-level trouble, which in this
case manifested as spontaneous reboots, it turned out to be two bad
sticks of RAM.  See:
http://linuxmafia.com/pipermail/conspire/2006-December/002668.html
http://linuxmafia.com/pipermail/conspire/2007-January/002743.html
(No, I am _not_ saying that's what you have.  That was just an example
of system troubles that traced to hardware.)

> I assume that I will put a fresh install of Centos 6.x as soon as I get
> around to doing all the backups and file folder organization needed for an
> OS system that is about to be deliberately scuttled.

Right.  And it's _really_ important to get to know where on your system
the files live that _should_ be backed up and would be missed if you
were to absent-mindedly blow them away.

I have an example write-up of exactly those concerns for a Debian
system, namely my server, here:  'Backup Scheme' on
http://linuxmafia.com/kb/Admin
(Page details exactly where on my system the files that are useful to
backup are, and gives a perfunctory scheme for making safety copies.)