[conspire] DragonFly disc version with XFCE

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Mon Jul 30 21:28:23 PDT 2012

Quoting Bruce Coston (jane_ikari at yahoo.com):

> The Dragon Fly BSD. based disc with xfce already installed looks like
> a good place to start when trying to supply my users addiction to KDE3
> . I'd appreciate it if Rick would insert a cron entry to download it
> in a few days when the site hopefully has enough server capacity
> available , assuming it's an easy thing to do with say wget . - thanks

My understanding is that XFCE4 is _mostly_ functional on the BSDs because
some functionality that is possible only with various low-level Linuxisms
(udev, consolekit, policykit, upower) was deliberately designed to be
'optional', e.g., you get the Thunar file-manager's _basic_
functionality, but the thunar-volman module for automounting pluggable
devices isn't there.  Likewise, Xfce4-session degrades a bit in the
absence of consolekit and policykit.  Much of this -can- be retrofitted
in BSDish code through other means.  Only udev is pathologically tied to
the Linux kernel.

But anyway, help me out, here, please.  Are you talking about the
Mahesha DragonFly BSD image?  I'm guessing yes, but confirmation will be
appreciated.   http://island.quantumachine.net/~swildner/LiveDVD/x86_64/
I've just fetched and unxz-decompressed DragonFly-LiveDVD-20120718-1405.iso ,
and can burn it to a DVD whenever.