[conspire] efilinux

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Mon Jul 2 20:34:15 PDT 2012

Quoting Adrien Lamothe (alamozzz at yahoo.com):

> Looks like some Linux distros will also gain a degree of control over
> hardware vendors as a result of Microsoft's UEFI Secure Boot.
>
> http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/2186842/canonical-intels-efilinux-ubuntu-uefi-secure-boot

I don't have all the details handy, but Canonical, Ltd.'s decision to
use the efilinux bootloader + shim rather than GRUB2 + shim or elilo is
that it's BSD licensed rather than GPL.  GRUB is GPLv3, and Canonical
fears that users would exercise their right to be given necessary
'authorisation keys' under GPLv3 section 6, and that Microsoft would
respond by revoking Canonical's certificate.

Best coverage is, as usual, from Linux Weekly News:
https://lwn.net/Articles/503803/

LWN update concerning an FSF paper on the subject:
https://lwn.net/Articles/504665/