[conspire] Privacy on the Web: Google's Revised Policy: Last Day to Delete Your Search History

Margaret Wendall mwendall at gmail.com
Sat Feb 25 14:20:40 PST 2012

Don,

Thanks for the hints. After telling my family and friends to always
remember that anything we enter into our computers is like a postcard,
available to all who want to read it for the rest of time. Since all of us
are human, this is a good time to straighten out the messes we've caused.

Margaret

On Sat, Feb 25, 2012 at 2:05 PM, Don Marti <dmarti at zgp.org> wrote:

> begin Rick Moen quotation of Fri, Feb 24, 2012 at 10:04:31AM -0800:
>
> > You should note that Google takes measures to do tracking (or targeted
> > marketing, as the concepts are related and poorly distinguishable) of
> > both logged-in and not logged in users even if they have 'Web History'
> > disabled, so, if you don't care to have Google be able to correlate data
> > from a lot of places, you shouldn't stop with mere disabling that one
> > particularly egregious example.  (EFF's article notes the extent of
> > default data-mining they do.)
>
> My new favorite Firefox extension is Request Policy:
>  https://www.requestpolicy.com/
>
> It does the closest thing I've seen to correcting
> an unfortunate misfeature in how web browsers handle
> third-party images and scripts on pages.
>  http://zgp.org/~dmarti/freedom/framing-privacy/
>
> One other interesting piece of Google news is that
> Google plans to honor "Do Not Track" headers sent
> from the browser.
>  http://zgp.org/~dmarti/www/google-you-know-me-down-with-dnt/
>
> I'm not going to disable Request Policy any time soon,
> but it's important to see that Google management is
> starting to realize that ☞ increasing creepiness of
> tracking does not correlate to increasing ad revenue ☜.
>
> Bonus link -- Slade Cutter gives examples of the
> creepiest practices here:
>
> http://venturebeat.com/2012/02/22/the-7-creep-factors-of-online-behavioral-advertising/
>
> --
> Don Marti
> http://zgp.org/~dmarti/
> dmarti at zgp.org

Margaret Wendall
mwendall-at-gmail-dot-com
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?" - Juvenal