[conspire] Privacy on the Web: Google's Revised Policy: Last Day to Delete Your Search History

Don Marti dmarti at zgp.org
Sat Feb 25 14:05:30 PST 2012

begin Rick Moen quotation of Fri, Feb 24, 2012 at 10:04:31AM -0800:

> You should note that Google takes measures to do tracking (or targeted
> marketing, as the concepts are related and poorly distinguishable) of
> both logged-in and not logged in users even if they have 'Web History'
> disabled, so, if you don't care to have Google be able to correlate data
> from a lot of places, you shouldn't stop with mere disabling that one
> particularly egregious example.  (EFF's article notes the extent of
> default data-mining they do.)

My new favorite Firefox extension is Request Policy:

It does the closest thing I've seen to correcting
an unfortunate misfeature in how web browsers handle
third-party images and scripts on pages.

One other interesting piece of Google news is that
Google plans to honor "Do Not Track" headers sent
from the browser.

I'm not going to disable Request Policy any time soon,
but it's important to see that Google management is
starting to realize that ☞ increasing creepiness of
tracking does not correlate to increasing ad revenue ☜.

Bonus link -- Slade Cutter gives examples of the
creepiest practices here:

Don Marti
dmarti at zgp.org