[conspire] upgrade from 10.04 LTS to 12.04 LTS ?

Daniel Gimpelevich daniel at gimpelevich.san-francisco.ca.us
Sat Dec 8 09:44:26 PST 2012

Rick Moen <rick <at> linuxmafia.com> writes:

> If I had video hardware that was _that_ open-source-hostile (as the
one
> you describe), I would actually sell and replace it.  (The workstation
> at my office is a special case in that regard:  I neither spec'd it nor
> own it, so I cannot reasonably yank and replace the video hardware.)
>
> And, more reasonably, I would (and do) avoid purchasing such video
> hardware in the first place.  It's not that hard.  All you have to do is
> check supported hardware lists before hauling out yo reur
chequebook.

I made exactly such checks beforehand, and found that the GeForce
inside the
laptop could easily be replaced with a certain model of Radeon, which
was my
initial pre-purchase intention. However, I also knew that the Radeon
would run
significantly hotter than the GeForce, which I thought would be only a
minor
issue, but it turned out that the GeForce runs too hot as it is, so I
reluctantly decided to leave it in.