[conspire] X11 session management

Nick Moffitt nick at zork.net
Fri Dec 7 02:47:22 PST 2012

Rick Moen:
> I never really tried it -- because fundamentally what characterises a
> DE within the Unix/X11 world is that you're running an X11 session
> manager[1], which in turn runs a metric tonne of 'service' processes
> that I have no particular wish to run.  So, when I've been obliged to
> live with a situation like that, pretty much the first change I tend
> to make is to shut off the session manager in order to make that noise
> go away.[2]

Do you tend not to run ssh or gpg key agents at the top level?  I'm
curious if you do anything to make sure the setup data for those are in
your window manager's environment.  Those tend to be the big benefits I
get from any sort of X session management.

--
"No, I ain't got a fax machine!  I also ain't got an
Apple IIc, polio, or a falcon!"