[conspire] Fwd: Re: Future of GNOME [ruben at mrbrklyn.com]

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Thu Dec 6 18:39:36 PST 2012

Quoting Ruben Safir (ruben at mrbrklyn.com):

> The main purpose of something like the gnome DM is for drag and drop ...
> ehh .. and the file manager... which for a long long time, the of of
> which was a real PIA.

Yeah, this is probably one of the primary _underlying_ reasons why DEs
continue to totally underwhelm me.  It goes like this:  Install distro
with DE.  Look at the pretty graphical file manager, whee!  That's nice,
now let's get serious and open an xterm with a real shell.

> Unfortunately Nautilus kills my right click, so I have played around
> with Dolphin.

I'm sure they're both really pretty.  And easily moved out of the way
when you need bash to do something serious.

The other day, I had my SVLUG presentation slides in /tmp as file
svlug-lecture-2012-12-05.odp .  Oh noes!  I need to open them and all I
have is bash.  What _will_ I do?

Oh, never mind, I just remembered:

cd /tmp   (Of which, one sensibly types only to the 't' and then hits
Tab, relying on bash autocompletion to do the rest.)

libre{hit Tab, becomes:}
libreoffice sv{hit Tab, becomes:}
libreoffice svlug-lecture-2012-12-05.odp{type two more chars, becomes:}
libreoffice svlug-lecture-2012-12-05.odp &{hit Return}

Drag and Slop just really do much for me, and trusting the OS to decide
which software to run based on file associations just has WAY too bad a
security history, so I don't trust it and frankly neither should anyone
else.

(My opinions, yours for a small fee and waiver of reverse-engineering
rights.)