[conspire] upgrade from 10.04 LTS to 12.04 LTS ?

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Thu Dec 6 12:57:18 PST 2012

Quoting =JeffH (Jeff.Hodges at KingsMountain.com):

> wrt proprietary display driver, I did try nouveau in the past but
> couldn't get it configured such that X worked in the fashion I
> require (i don't remember the details) and I just plain don't have
> time to futz with such stuff, and my X config works with the nvidia
> driver and so that's what I use.

Yeah, I hear you.  I've done that sort of thing out of expediency,
myself.  Long-term drawbacks are sometimes overridden by the need for
short-term functionality.

In fact, the company-issued workstation in front of me has an Nvidia
card, and it got proprietary drivers because (1) it needed to have
multi-head working in a hurry, and (2) the nouveau drivers weren't
ready.  (Next rebuild, we'll try nouveau.)

> so yeah, I'm going to continue to wait a while to upgrade I guess,
> largely for the three reasons Rick cited.

I'm probably just being overcautious -- but the thing with a
virtual-machine server is that you can't just walk up to it with a live
CD and fix a broken installation, so I am wary of even the remote
possibility of a meltdown.  (The logical step is to be prepared if
necessary to rebuild on a new VM, which is more-or-less my Plan B,
just not something I _want_ to have to do under time pressure.)

By contrast, with a physical machine that's in front of you, it's much
easier to recover because you have a local console to work from.

More information about the conspire mailing list