[conspire] who knew ssd hybrid drives have better drop-fail performance?

Tony Godshall togo at of.net
Fri Aug 10 14:00:52 PDT 2012

On Thu, Aug 9, 2012 at 7:28 PM, Ross Bernheim
<rossbernheim at speakeasy.net> wrote:
> Tony,
>
> Be aware that the 500GB version of the Momentus XT has gotten some less than great reviews due to
> the caching algorithms. The 750GB version on the other hand gets very good reviews. I got one of the
> 750GB versions for my Mac Mini. Quite an improvement for boot times and other commonly used files.
>
> I liked it so much that I got another for my laptop. Doesn't boot as quickly but still a lot quicker than before.
>
> Ross
>
> On Aug 9, 2012, at 9:39 AM, Tony Godshall wrote:
>
>> "While Momentus XT is more like a hard drive than a SSD, it's still
>> very different than your average hard drive. For example, the WD
>> VelociRaptor features and operating shock (read) value of 65G measured
>> at 2-ms, and non-operating shock of 300G. Conversely, all Momentus XT
>> SSHDs are safe up to 350G's operating shock and 1000G's non-operating"
>>
>> http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=806&Itemid=60&limit=1&limitstart=1

Yes, I ordered the 750GB.   Yes I was aware of various issues-
the surprising detail was the capability to take G-forces.  Without
that I probably would have saved the ~$60 extra.

>> That settles it.  The Momentus XT is worth the extra money
[and]
>> is going into my mobile streaming drive housing...

Fry's has a cool USB3 housing with integrated battery
and wifi (!) so your cheapo Android device without
microSD slot (e.g. Nexus 7) can have access to a
little more near storage.  I was going to get it at
NewEgg but they had it at Fry's for $99.  They also
had what appeared to be an USB housing with
integrated PacMan game (!?) for $30 but I took
a pass on that.

>> ((Ha.  Famous last words.))

I've had to eat my words before...