[conspire] Re PG&E causing downed trees (haha) and devices that deal with low-voltage [Re: A timely question.]

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Mon Apr 23 14:48:22 PDT 2012

Quoting Tony Godshall (tony at of.net):

> I don't know how authoritative this is, but it sounds reasonably good to me:
> http://www.apc-forums.com/thread.jspa?messageID=9770

That's helpful, thanks.  tl;dr version:  An internal relay-controlled
array of transformers dials up the voltage, after an 8-33 ms lag, when
input feed drops -- making it up by drawing higher current.  Protracted
use in that mode generates a lot of excess heat, which will reduce
service life of the battery and associated parts, or UPS failure.