[conspire] (forw) Re: Burning Tools

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Sun Apr 15 12:51:56 PDT 2012

I wrote:

> Daniel's reference to 'Schilyware' refers to the fact that both of the
> completely open-source options for MS-Windows cited are people's graphical
> front-ends to Joerg Schilling's cdrkit.
                                  ^^^^^^

Should be 'cdrtools'.

'cdrkit' is a fork of (and intended sucessor to) cdrtools, departing
from a cdrtools version just before Schilling made a very peculiar and
vexing licence change.

Most of the world has moved onwards from Schilling's software now that
we've coded adequate replacements, to the point where I remember the
non-Schilling fork's name better than that of Schilling's original.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cdrtools#Licensing
(Among lesser annoyances, Schilling has tried to manipulate the
Wikipedia coverage of his software for purposes of his own polemics.
See, for example:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Cdrtools)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Jörg_Schilling

FYI, cdrkit (the 'Thanks, but we've gotten tired of dealing with
Schilling' fork) _has_ been ported to MS-Windows, so it's quite possible
that the two open source graphical front-end programs for optical disc
burning on Windows (cdrtfe and InfraRecorder) will work with cdrkit for
Windows just as well as they did with cdrtools for Windows.

News travels a bit slowly to MS-Windows.