[conspire] (forw) Re: Burning Tools

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Sun Apr 15 12:51:56 PDT 2012

I wrote:

> Daniel's reference to 'Schilyware' refers to the fact that both of the
> completely open-source options for MS-Windows cited are people's graphical
> front-ends to Joerg Schilling's cdrkit.

Should be 'cdrtools'.

'cdrkit' is a fork of (and intended sucessor to) cdrtools, departing
from a cdrtools version just before Schilling made a very peculiar and
vexing licence change.

Most of the world has moved onwards from Schilling's software now that
we've coded adequate replacements, to the point where I remember the
non-Schilling fork's name better than that of Schilling's original.

(Among lesser annoyances, Schilling has tried to manipulate the
Wikipedia coverage of his software for purposes of his own polemics.
See, for example:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Cdrtools)

FYI, cdrkit (the 'Thanks, but we've gotten tired of dealing with
Schilling' fork) _has_ been ported to MS-Windows, so it's quite possible
that the two open source graphical front-end programs for optical disc
burning on Windows (cdrtfe and InfraRecorder) will work with cdrkit for
Windows just as well as they did with cdrtools for Windows.

News travels a bit slowly to MS-Windows.