[conspire] pitfalls of transfers on a usb. memory stick

Tony Godshall tony at of.net
Fri Sep 30 12:23:22 PDT 2011

On Thu, Sep 29, 2011 at 5:47 PM, Mark Weisler
<mark at weisler-saratoga-ca.us> wrote:
> On 9/29/11 3:17 PM, bruce coston wrote:
>> Pardus linux does not tend to see a stick unless  formatted fat32 . At
>> 900k , it takes 5 hrs. to transfer 15G. from my 32G. stick . I can easily
>> take 2 nights to transfer my 40G. of videos . I still had problems with
>> one file stopping the process despite my using different permissions to
>> do the transfer , I just bundled it into an archive . So I will examine
>> the questions around local network configuration for file transfers .
>
> Do other people have this much trouble with usb. sticks ?
>>
> Yes, people do. USB flash drives can be fussy. The difference between USB
> 1.0 and USB 2.0 is dramatic. USB 1.0 is painful to experience in this modern
> era. I suspect you might have USB 1.0.
>
> Rick's right, as usual. Try to get yourself one of these thin, inexpensive
> WD brand USB drives (spinning disk) that is powered by the USB cable. They
> are thin, small and useful.

A terabyte for $100 in the size of a couple of packs of cards.
Do love mine.  Did learn the hard way with my previous one
(888GB) that they are still as susceptible to failure due to
impact during operation as any prior hard drives.  I now make
sure it is well secured, physically, before I plug it in, and make
a yank of the USB cable won't dislodge it.

Tony