[conspire] pitfalls of transfers on a usb. memory stick

Tony Godshall tony at of.net
Fri Sep 30 12:16:47 PDT 2011

On Thu, Sep 29, 2011 at 5:47 PM, Mark Weisler
<mark at weisler-saratoga-ca.us> wrote:
> On 9/29/11 3:17 PM, bruce coston wrote:
>> Pardus linux does not tend to see a stick unless  formatted fat32 . At
>> 900k , it takes 5 hrs. to transfer 15G. from my 32G. stick . I can easily
>> take 2 nights to transfer my 40G. of videos . I still had problems with

> Yes, people do. USB flash drives can be fussy. The difference between USB
> 1.0 and USB 2.0 is dramatic. USB 1.0 is painful to experience in this modern
> era. I suspect you might have USB 1.0.

USB 1.1 is more likely.  But yes, point valid beyond the nitpick.

$ echo '(15*1024*1024)/(5*60*60)' | bc
873

873 bytes per sec?  That's crap.  This an old computer?  How many USB
ports?  No hubs, right?

I typ get 6MB/sec writing and 15 MB/sec reading on USB2.0.  If it's
USB1.1, I typ just give up.  USB 1.1 is for keyboards and mice.  Lack
of USB2 is a good indicator that the computer in question is too crap
to bother with.  Computers of that age a subject to break down and use
too much power.  But if you are sure you want to keep using it and it
has pccard/cardbus (i.e. old laptop but not too insanely old) I do
have a USB2 pccard card I'd be happy to donate- it's doing me no good.

Tony