[conspire] apt-get install youtube-dl

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Mon Sep 5 12:26:00 PDT 2011

Quoting Nick Moffitt (nick at zork.net):

> My naïve experience of clive and cclive, as a user of either, is that
> cclive may have been a "recent" project but the core clive project is
> the one that continues to update itself for changes in the layout of
> youtube and vimeo file storage.
>
> I typically run the latest Ubuntu desktop release, yet pull clive from
> Debian sid on a semi-regular basis.  I find this work very well for my
> needs: no proprietary flash, no gnash overhead, no buffering, and I can
> watch offline.
>
> It's possible that cclive keeps track as well, but the clive package in
> Debian is the one that seems to be the most actively maintained for new
> upstream versions.

I appreciate the news.  I put together that page a while ago, based on
the best information I had at the time, but was well aware that
maintenance / updating is key, as the major video streaming services
continue to fool with their Javascript-based obfuscation in an attempt
to discourage downloaders / offline viewers.

--
Cheers,                        "When closing parentheses, it's polite to post
Rick Moen                      a sign saying when they will reopen."