[conspire] apt-get install youtube-dl

Nick Moffitt nick at zork.net
Mon Sep 5 02:25:29 PDT 2011

Rick Moen:
> It's one of the two main solutions of that type (along with clive or its
> recent rewrite cclive).  I've documented the various options here:
>
> 'YouTube Downloading' on http://linuxmafia.com/kb/Web

My naïve experience of clive and cclive, as a user of either, is that
cclive may have been a "recent" project but the core clive project is
the one that continues to update itself for changes in the layout of
youtube and vimeo file storage.

I typically run the latest Ubuntu desktop release, yet pull clive from
Debian sid on a semi-regular basis.  I find this work very well for my
needs: no proprietary flash, no gnash overhead, no buffering, and I can
watch offline.

It's possible that cclive keeps track as well, but the clive package in
Debian is the one that seems to be the most actively maintained for new
upstream versions.

--
"Here is the memo if you didn't receive it: GNOME and
Free Software is all about *SAVING THE WORLD* not