[conspire] Ubuntu 9.04

=JeffH Jeff.Hodges at KingsMountain.com
Sat Oct 8 14:47:03 PDT 2011

 > "after a certain time" means 3 years for an Ubuntu long term support (LTS)
release:

 >     https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LTS

Yes, that's been my modus operandi with ubuntu -- get onto the current LTS
release and sit tight until the next LTS release, then (i've only done this
once so far) incrementally upgrade to the next LTS release (there were some
stories of issues with the auto LTS->LTS upgrade the last time). It worked fine
for me.

I mostly sit tight because I'm picky about my user interface, and these days it
seems both the kde & gnome folks are flailing about with "features" (that I'm
not interested in and dont want my set-up busted).

And yes, one can migrate over to some other desktop UI regime, eg XFCE. I've
not done that (yet) because I'm sitting tight on a gnome+kde mix that's working
for me. when i next upgrade to a new LTS,  I may be at that time driven to look
at other desktop UI regimes.

=JeffH