[conspire] Ubuntu 9.04 (re-sending due to previously accidentally sent to Bcc instead of Cc conspire group)

Paul Zander paulz at ieee.org
Fri Oct 7 13:53:11 PDT 2011

Ilona.

My comments on Linux distros:  There are a lot of them, each with good and not so good points.

Ubuntu and many others are simple to install, but after a certain time they are not supported and you have to start over with a new install to get security upgrades.

I was attracted to LMDE, a variant of Linux Mint that claims to support incremental upgrades. Alas it didn't work for me. Getting upgrades to existing software and getting "packages" for software not in the original install are basically the same process.  I could not load any of the additional features I wanted. You can read about it in the Conspire archives.

In the end, I went to Debian and have been quite happy.

Paul