[conspire] Ubuntu 9.04 (re-sending due to previously accidentally sent to Bcc instead of Cc conspire group)

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Wed Oct 5 11:58:05 PDT 2011

Quoting ilona (tecstuf at earthlink.net):

> Yes, thanks for catching that rick ...
>
> In the mean time instead of pursuing 9.04 I found Ubuntu 11.04 ISO but after I burned the CD I found it to be for Windows only ....

Doubt it.  I think something else must have happened.  An iso is an iso:
You burn it to media from any operating system whatsoever, and then you
boot the disc natively without using an installed OS to do so.

There is something called the 'Wubi installer', a single file named
'wubi.exe' that creates a peculiar Linux installation that launches from
MS-Windows and loop--mounts a large file from the MS-Windows directory
tree as its root filesystem.  However, the 'Wubi installer' isn't an
iso.

The real 11.04 isos can be fetched from any of the dozens of Ubuntu
mirror sites.  Here is one:

http://mirror.anl.gov/pub/ubuntu-iso/CDs/11.04/

> guess I'll keep looking for an Ubuntu to use on MacBook Pro OS 10.6.8
> Snow Leopard

Hold on.  What does 'use Ubuntu on on MacBook Pro OS 10.6.8 Snow
Leopard' mean?

Are you seeking to overwrite the installed copy of OS X on the MacBook
Pro and create a native Ubuntu system on the hard disk in its place?
That is one option.

You might be seeking to create a dual-boot OS X / Ubuntu setup on the
hard disk.  That's option two.  (I personally dislike dual-boot setups,
as you always are in the wrong OS waiting to reboot, have no ability
to copy live between the OSes, etc.)

You might be seeking to install Ubuntu in a guest virtual machine with
OS X as the host OS.  This option three works quite well using your
choice of VM application for OS X (VMware, VirtualBox, Parallels, etc.),
though it does eat up a bit of RAM and CPU.

Also, far be it from me to criticise your choice in software, but you
should be aware that there's a whole lot more choices in the Linux world
than just Ubuntu.  See:
http://linuxmafia.com/~rick/faq/index.php?page=kicking#distro

Quoting:

  No, you should not automatically gravitate towards Ubuntu, just
  because that distribution is best-known in the USA. (Before 2011, this
  FAQ item used to say "Red Hat" rather than "Ubuntu", but the
  distribution touted to the masses changes from year to year.) One of the
  glories of Linux is the richness of choices that you can sample _many_ of
  at low cost. Consider trying several of them consecutively, using one of
  the multi-distribution jewel-case sets described in a prior section.

  I _personally_ strongly prefer the Debian distribution, especially for
  servers. However, newcomers should consider starting with Linux Mint,
  Ultimate Edition, MEPIS Linux, PCLinuxOS, or Zenwalk Linux, for desktop
  Linux machines (not Debian).

(FAQ item goes on to detail what's missing from Ubuntu, etc.)