[conspire] Speculation on derivatives won't save your freedom (was: ...Flattr...)

Don Marti dmarti at zgp.org
Sun Nov 13 11:09:52 PST 2011

begin Nick Moffitt quotation of Sun, Nov 13, 2011 at 04:39:05PM +0000:
> Don Marti:
> > begin Nick Moffitt quotation of Sun, Nov 13, 2011 at 09:22:41AM +0000:
> > > Don Marti:
> > > I would argue that that's a strength.
> >
> > In your view would one distribution that operated a bug market harm
> > upstream or other distributions?
>
> Oh, I'm sure the distribution that operated it would smile beatifically
> and hold its hands in the air and say "but all we do is bring people
> together!" while speculators hyped up the importance of irrelevant bugs
> they knew a special fix for.  Consider the security fix where a coder
> waits for lucrative hysteria to build before releasing the patch!

How often could you do that before losing users or
kicking off a fork?  A pure speculator might hype
an insignificant or invalid bug, but a maintainer
with time invested in learning the software would
be unlikely to reduce the future market by pulling
stunts.

--
Don Marti
http://zgp.org/~dmarti/