[conspire] (forw) [MaraDNS list] Why I won't use Flattr or another similar scheme

Ruben Safir ruben at mrbrklyn.com
Fri Nov 11 06:50:15 PST 2011

On 11/11/2011 09:31 AM, Don Marti wrote:
> begin Tony Godshall quotation of Thu, Nov 10, 2011 at 11:00:21AM -0800:
>
>> Nobody owes you updates or features for free.  It's open
>> source: scratch your own itch or pay someone to do it for
>> you.
> The second part is the hard one.  There have been
> a lot of proposed market mechanisms to connect free
> software projects and users.  I have a list here.
>
>    http://zgp.org/~dmarti/software/development-market/
>
> It would be fun to see a bug tracker/prediction
> market, where you could trade on the likelihood of
> a bug being fixed.  Bug fixers could make money by
> closing bugs on which they owned the "closed" side
> of the contract.

Years ago, we tried to pay someone to create a CMYK pluggin for the
gimp, and we got no responses and
I still think this has never been done.

More commonly, when commercial interests seem to work at getting things
done,
it seems to be on a corporate level, such as when IBM and Intel donates
large chunks of code.

Ruben