[conspire] boot failure , except text mode root .

Sean sean.channel at pacbell.net
Tue Nov 1 14:47:29 PDT 2011

On Tue, 2011-11-01 at 00:37 -0700, bruce coston wrote:
> . Root only space won't help

You can free up the root-only space, which can be pretty substantial,
and get running normally again long enough to clean up and prevent the
problem from happening again. The reserved space is supposed to prevent
this kind of problem, but if it's not helping in that way, make it
available to all users via (as root) "tune2fs -m 0 DEVICE" (where DEVICE
is /dev/sda1 or whatever).

You can change this on-the-fly, and, if you wish, put it back later by
specifying either a specific number of blocks (-r), or a percentage of
the overall filesystem (-m, as above).

I've found this handy whenever I've accidentally filled up my disk.
_S