[conspire] annoying ext4 disaster under Kademar

Tony Godshall tony at of.net
Tue Nov 1 09:40:11 PDT 2011

On Mon, Oct 31, 2011 at 6:58 PM, Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com> wrote:
> Quoting Tony Godshall (tony at of.net):
>
>> But ext3's been solid for us, so we're using that until we've a good
>> reason not to.
>
> Same here.  I love it when other people do my QA for me.

"a good reason not to" reasons would include, IMHO,

- deduplication
- redundancy (tho software raid handles that fine)
- versioning

So I'm certainly watching nilfs, zfs, copyfs, btrfs, etc.

"In 2008, the principal developer of the ext3 and ext4 file systems,
Theodore Ts'o, stated that although ext4 has improved features, it is
not a major advance, it uses old technology, and is a stop-gap; Ts'o
believes that Btrfs is the better direction..."
https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/btrfs

No issues with btrfs yet, but then I'm only running that in one instance.

Tony