[conspire] annoying ext4 disaster under Kademar

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Tue Nov 1 10:27:09 PDT 2011

Quoting Tony Godshall (tony at of.net):

> So I'm certainly watching nilfs, zfs, copyfs, btrfs, etc.
>
> "In 2008, the principal developer of the ext3 and ext4 file systems,
> Theodore Ts'o, stated that although ext4 has improved features, it is
> not a major advance, it uses old technology, and is a stop-gap; Ts'o
> believes that Btrfs is the better direction..."
> https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/btrfs
>
> No issues with btrfs yet, but then I'm only running that in one instance.

I call lack of usable btrfsck an issue.
http://www.mail-archive.com/linux-btrfs@vger.kernel.org/msg11836.html
https://lwn.net/Articles/462543/

Aside from that, btrfs looks good and is the obvious next step.  (The
prospect of a reliable _online_ fsck, with a beta version available
starting this past June, is another win, especially for large
filesystems.
http://www.mail-archive.com/linux-btrfs@vger.kernel.org/msg10864.html
http://www.mail-archive.com/linux-btrfs@vger.kernel.org/msg11283.html )