[conspire] Coffee

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Sun May 22 11:06:32 PDT 2011

On Sun, May 22, 2011 at 12:59, Tony Godshall <tony at of.net> wrote:
> On Sat, May 21, 2011 at 6:18 PM, Edward Cherlin <echerlin at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Sat, May 21, 2011 at 16:17, Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com> wrote:
>>> Quoting Dire Red (deirdre at deirdre.net):

>>> You actually were rather pleased when you saw it in our kitchen and
>>> pointed it out to Clement.  We thanked you for the recommendation.
>>> (It's a Capresso 560.)
>>
>> The memory is the first thing to go. ^_^
>>
>> Did I tell you to buy coffee from Barefoot Coffee Roasters? It's
>> available at Whole Foods. The Ethiopian Yirgacheffe is the best coffee
>> I ever had.
>
> What's kind of fun is to buy the green beans (e.g. from sweetmarias.com
> in emeryville) and roast them yourself.  And quality coffee is way cheaper
> that way.  Tastes do vary, of course- I personally don't see the attraction
> of the African coffees- I mix sumatra, mexican, and kona myself.  Sumatra
> for robust flavor, mexican or central american for an acidic bite, and kona
> for lasting warmth.

Indeed. Most of my life I thought that I didn't like coffee, until I
had the real thing, fresh-roasted, fresh-ground, fresh-brewed from
quality beans. I like Arabica coffee from every country I have tried,
with Ethiopia at the very top, but de gustibus non disputandam.

There are a lot of places to buy green coffee beans online, too. A
Google search for

green coffee beans

returns about 5.9 million hits. ^_^ You can roast just enough beans
for a pot of coffee in a popcorn popper, if you don't mind voiding the
warranty, and having to watch the beans like a hawk to keep them from
getting overdone. If you ever get the perfect roast, grind, and brew
of the best beans, you won't be satisfied with anything less. There
are only a few cafes that come up to this standard.