[conspire] I renounce the devil Unicode and all of its works

Ruben Safir ruben at mrbrklyn.com
Fri May 20 09:02:06 PDT 2011

On Fri, May 20, 2011 at 07:36:57AM -0700, Daniel Gimpelevich wrote:
> On Thu, 2011-05-19 at 00:00 -0700, Rick Moen wrote:
> > I personally am a Norwegian-American reactionary about charsets when
> > writing in the English language, preferring literal ISO 8859-1
> > (Latin-1) or (more precisely) its close cousin ISO 8859-15
> > (informally,
> > Latin-9 AKA Western European), which replaces eight symbols with
> > more-useful ones, notably the Euro symbol.  UTF-8 is the Wave of the
> > Future and Gateway to Unicode<tm>, which IMVAO is reason enough to
> > loathe it and all its overengineered baggage.  But you should of
> > course
> > make up your own mind.
>
> IMVAO, the situation of incorrect rendering of your personal choice of
> page encoding on other people's browsers is just stupid.

this is a stupid argument....

> Why the #%&$#$
> don't the content-type settings in the HTTP header _and_ the HTML
> webpages themselves, which presumably (I have not actually looked) both
> specify ISO 8859 specifically, tell all the browsers to do it the way
> you want?

Do you actually know what is in the HTML headers?

try doing a telnet to port 80 and look.

BTW - on quick note, there is NO reverse double quotes on the damn
keyboard, and they have no meaning.

buıʇɐɔıunɯɯoɔ ɹoɟ ןɐuǝsɹɐ ןɐɯɹou ɹıǝɥʇ uı spɹoʍ 005 ǝʌɐɥ uǝʌǝ ʇ,uop
ǝןdoǝd ʇsoɯ ǝsɐǝןd˙˙˙uoıʇɐɔıunɯɯoɔ ɥsıןbuǝ ɹoɟ pǝpǝǝu sɹɐɥɔ pǝɹpunɥ 005

˙ʎɐʍʎuɐ buıuɐǝɯ xɐʇuʎs ou ǝʌɐɥ ʎǝɥʇ puɐ 'pɹɐoqʎǝʞ
uɯɐp ǝɥʇ uo sǝʇonb ǝןqnop ǝsɹǝʌǝɹ ou sı ǝɹǝɥʇ 'ǝʇou ʞɔınb uo - ʍʇq

˙ʞooן puɐ 08 ʇɹod oʇ ʇǝuןǝʇ ɐ buıop ʎɹʇ

¿sɹǝpɐǝɥ ןɯʇɥ ǝɥʇ uı sı ʇɐɥʍ ʍouʞ ʎןןɐnʇɔɐ noʎ op

Is this unecesarry and retarded?  Yes