[conspire] I renounce the devil Unicode and all of its works

Daniel Gimpelevich daniel at gimpelevich.san-francisco.ca.us
Fri May 20 07:36:57 PDT 2011

On Thu, 2011-05-19 at 00:00 -0700, Rick Moen wrote:
> I personally am a Norwegian-American reactionary about charsets when
> writing in the English language, preferring literal ISO 8859-1
> (Latin-1) or (more precisely) its close cousin ISO 8859-15
> (informally,
> Latin-9 AKA Western European), which replaces eight symbols with
> more-useful ones, notably the Euro symbol.  UTF-8 is the Wave of the
> Future and Gateway to Unicode<tm>, which IMVAO is reason enough to
> loathe it and all its overengineered baggage.  But you should of
> course
> make up your own mind.

IMVAO, the situation of incorrect rendering of your personal choice of
page encoding on other people's browsers is just stupid. Why the #%&$#$
don't the content-type settings in the HTTP header _and_ the HTML
webpages themselves, which presumably (I have not actually looked) both
specify ISO 8859 specifically, tell all the browsers to do it the way
you want?