[conspire] Hebrew

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Thu May 19 21:03:06 PDT 2011

On Thu, May 19, 2011 at 17:44, Ruben Safir <ruben at mrbrklyn.com> wrote:
> How do you type Hebrew in libreoffice.  I've done a bit of googling on
> this, and come up with fonts and intructions to reverse the direction,
> but no means to actually type the letters in the application.  I see in
> KDE you can remap the keyboard.  I don't use KDE and frankly I'm puzzled
> about the need to remap the keyboard.

You don't need to remap the keyboard. Numerous keyboard layouts are
included in every Linux distro. In Ubuntu, at least, they are in
/usr/share/X11/xkb/symbols . This is a fundamental X function, and has
nothing to do with KDE, Gnome, Unity 2D, or any other desktop manager.
Your problem is, however, connected with the execrable documentation
of Linux I18n.

First, set an Israeli Hebrew keyboard in Keyboard Preferences or at
the command line with

setxkbmap il

פםןוטארק'/
ףךלחיעגדש
.ץתצמנהבסז

Open LibreOffice from the menu, and type.

Switching the keyboard out of Hebrew from the command line is left as
an exercise for the command-line bigot. I know more than one answer.