[conspire] YouTube downloading software (was: get back to me

bruce coston jane_ikari at yahoo.com
Thu May 19 15:05:30 PDT 2011

I grabbed the apparently most popular plugin from mozilla , DownloadHelper . And I tolerate the current quirks . Grabbing something else makes little sense , in this old , brittle MEPIS install with KDE3. on a small partition .

I've various fancy notions about getting more aggressive in testing stuff but the past half decade of software decline compells me to avoid changes ; fstab - disastrous choice , xfree86 - necessary , 'kde.' - extermination fork , grub - lilo derived extermination fork named grub2 loses saved edit = finished feature !  [ It's amazing that getting one's users addicted to the most added
 gui. environment for the linux desktop at that time would lead to a 0
developers left emergency your users can't even understand after
literally years of attempts . ] I suspect the legit. xfree86 situation gave many the wrong idea about suddenly forcing changes on the users and family sysadmins . The malwares situation does not justify losing gui. administration as an available norm ; a proven better approach by IBM.'s situational awareness research on gui. administration of mainframes some years ago .

And don't get me started about the default backwards behavior of sources.list in my generally preferred distro. family called debian . But changes run the potential hazard of trying to fix the derivatives of the infamously obfuscatory old ' gnome human interface guidelines ' , if we implemented it backwards as our guidelines say then should we fix it and mess over our users . This gets very nasty with the empowered users the home sysadmin faces .
That gnetvideoplayer looks like good advice .
 - Many Thanks - Bruce