[conspire] Book Burning continues thanks to the Feds

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Fri Mar 25 13:48:31 PDT 2011

Quoting Ruben Safir (ruben at mrbrklyn.com):

> I agree that there is room for discussion within the context of a
> propaganda war.

You very seldom do _discussions_ on such matters.  Instead, you fall right
into the stereotype of everyone's worst image of ideological advocacy,
harangue audiences at great length, _and_ strewing flamebait around
(like that chozzeroi you dangled in front of me about 'theft'),
apparently trying to goad someone less energetic, less well armed, and
insufficiently cautious to tangle with you so you can have a 'teaching
moment'.

Unfortunately, nobody likes teaching moments (most people want their
practitioners to Die In a Fire[1], and trolls are popular only with each
other.

Doing grandiose public spectacles works if you are
The Great Brian Blessed and the Greatest Ham Alive
(see: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BrianBlessed),
but most of us are not that entertaining, and bombast becomes
obnoxious in a hurry.

(Heard around $WORK:  'Every time I hear the word "incentivize",
it makes me remove the safety from my Browning.'[2])

[1]  http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/KillItWithFire
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=die%20in%20a%20fire
http://dieinafire.com/

[2] _Schlageter_, by Hanns Johst.  Thanks for asking.