[conspire] Book Burning continues thanks to the Feds

Ruben Safir ruben at mrbrklyn.com
Thu Mar 24 19:03:36 PDT 2011

On Thu, Mar 24, 2011 at 06:39:33PM -0700, Rick Moen wrote:
> Quoting Ruben Safir (ruben at mrbrklyn.com):
>
> > Copyright under US law and under English Common Law is not property
> > and it is only a matter of time that the Bern Convention is found
> > unconstitutional.
>
> I've already explained to you why it's totally _irrelevant_ whether you
> are willing to apply the label 'property' to copyrights (or patents, or
> trademarks, or trade secrets, or bonds, or stocks, or stock options, or
> leaseholds, or fiat currency, or company scrip, or credit default swaps,
> or mineral rights).  The relevant fact is that there are exclusive
> rights under law (which is what sane people happen to call 'property', a
> point I'll return to, below).  It is incontrovertible that Google's
> now-failed settlement proposal would have given it special,
> unprecedented, court-ordered, proprietary access to exploit other people's
> rights for purposes of its own corporate profit -- other people who
> weren't even part of the lawsuit.
>
> You decided to ignore that relevant underlying facts, and try to sucker
> me into a symbolic ideological battle over the word 'property'.
>
> This is, of course, ritualised Internet combat at its worst, and is
> one of the several ways you tend to make yourself obnoxious and somewhat
> notorious on Internet mailing lists, Ruben.  By yammering on ideology,
> and falling back on verbose preprepared talking points, you usually wear
> most people down, and you walk away thinking you've impressed people,
> after they merely got tired of arguing.
>
> And, as my saying goes, 'It's easier than thinking.'  However, being the
> sadistic bastard I am, I'm going to _force_ you to think.  Watch me.
> This is at least a little reminiscent of the way it's done in law class.

"Theft"
An unskippable anti-piracy film included on movie DVDs equates copyright
infringement with theft.

Copyright holders frequently refer to copyright infringement as "theft".
In law copyright infringement does not refer to actual theft, but an
instance where a person exercises one of the exclusive rights of the
copyright holder without authorization.[5] Courts have distinguished
between copyright infringement and theft, holding, for instance, in the
United States Supreme Court case Dowling v. United States (1985) that
bootleg phonorecords did not constitute stolen property and that
"...interference with copyright does not easily equate with theft,
conversion, or fraud. The Copyright Act even employs a separate term of
art to define one who misappropriates a copyright... 'an infringer of
the copyright.'" In the case of copyright infringement the province
guaranteed to the copyright holder by copyright law is invaded, i.e.
exclusive rights, but no control, physical or otherwise, is taken over
the copyright, nor is the copyright holder wholly deprived of using the
copyrighted work or exercising the exclusive rights held.[6]

Right off of Wikipedia

So where are we now Rick?  Should we get Moglin on the phone and do a
three way conference call?  I think I can arrainge it.

Ruben