[conspire] (forw) June 25 MP installfest upgrade RH 7.3 PC to Centos56

Ruben Safir ruben at mrbrklyn.com
Mon Jun 27 10:50:20 PDT 2011

On Mon, Jun 27, 2011 at 10:40:43AM -0700, Rick Moen wrote:
> Quoting Ruben Safir (ruben at mrbrklyn.com):
>
> > For whatever it is worth, first, does the driver exist in the stanard
> > kernel?
>
> It is still in http://lxr.linux.no/linux+v2.6.39/drivers/scsi/ .
> However, the problem was the absence of that driver in most if not all
> installer kernels.
>
> > Because if it does, then a custom compile of the kernel seems
> > to be the right thing to do here.
>
> Note the bootstrapping problem.
>
> Because the driver is incrreasingly omitted as unmaintained (last
> updated 18 July 2002), even if Eddie were to succeed in getting a
> distribution onto the machine with that hardware, he would have the same
> problem any other time he did an installation.
>
> It could be worked around, during any such installation, by installing
> first onto a PATA hard drive, then compiling a custom kernel with
> Leonard Zubkoff's BusLogic.c driver, then migrating the installed system
> onto the SCSI drives, removing the PATA hard drive, re-doing the
> bootloader, and rebooting.  However, the writing is on the wall:  It's
> far better to just spend $15 to get an old Adaptec AHA-2940, and that
> was my advice.

I wouldn't argue that.  I probably have 2 or 3 of them around the house.

More to the point, despite my detour, is I wouldn't even spend the 15
dollars on the machine.  In two weeks one of its capacitors will blow
up, and even if it didn't, for the costs involved, it doesn't make the
cycles/watt test.  Now if you shrink it down to a watch size case with
and run the 800 mghtz off of a solar panel, now that would be worth
running.  But as it is, it just makes coned rich to run it,  BTW - I
loved that Duron chip and ran it for almost 12 years, if I'm not
mistaken.  But there comes a point where a machine like that is not
worth running when a news and more efficient model is cheap and would
pay itself back rather quicky in electrical savings.

Ruben