[conspire] ISP

Daniel Gimpelevich daniel at gimpelevich.san-francisco.ca.us
Sun Jun 19 06:02:20 PDT 2011

On Fri, 2011-06-17 at 17:46 -0700, Daniel Gimpelevich wrote:
> On Fri, 2011-06-17 at 16:17 -0700, Tony Godshall wrote:
> > Actually, I'll be getting 6Mbps for about $50
> > a month, weareas to exceed 4Mbps at my
> > distance from the CO via Sonic would require
> > me to pay about double to get the second line.
>
> If 4Mbps was what you got with a single line on Fusion, 4Mbps would be
> what you get with a single line on RawBW. This is not
> provider-dependent.

Apologies for being dense; it sounded to me like you were comparing a
single line on one to a single line on the other. It took a few looks
back before I realized you were comparing RawBandwidth's bonded
dynamic-IP service with prepayment discount to both single-line and
bonded service on Fusion. If you already have Fusion without the voice
line, you are grandfathered into that, but I don't know whether this
could carry over if you went to bonded. Assuming it would, I'll replace
my earlier one-size-fits-most general statement with a more detailed
comparison, sans voice service. If one looks at the service tiers you
posted and ignores the static IP offerings, there end up being fourteen
price points, seven discounted and seven non-discounted. Out of those,
Fusion is lower on six of them, RawBW is lower on seven more, and one is
the same. If your line gets 4Mbps, bonded service would presumably get
you 8Mbps. This would mean that you'd be paying $11.50 less for RawBW if
you opted for the same service, which you're not even doing, and
therefore paying about $20 less. Your reference to paying "about double"
is apparently comparing Fusion _with_ voice instead of Fusion sans
voice, so maybe you already asked and could not be grandfathered in?

Since, for new customers, Fusion is not available without voice service
and RawBandwidth is not available with it, the basic reason for new
customers now to choose either over the other would be the use or
non-use of a landline for voice communication. (To be pedantic, fax
communication I specifically exclude, because Fusion allows no way to
disable call waiting in any way, shape, or form.)

On another note, for the old ADSL service, RawBW offered routeable
static IP subnets on either bridged or routed circuits, with the same
price regardless, as well as individual static IP addresses on bridged
circuits. (Fusion provides only bridged circuits with 3-bit subnets, I
believe.) For the static-IP prices you listed, how many addresses does
one get? Are they in a routeable subnets? Bridged circuits or routed?
Also, on the dynamic-IP service, is that one single dynamic IP, or just
however many DHCP clients are behind the bridge? (Fusion provides the
latter, I believe.) Also, what is RawBW doing with regard to IPv6?