[conspire] (forw) Re: A Request

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Sun Jul 17 15:43:37 PDT 2011

----- Forwarded message from Dave Pearce <daveryu at yahoo.com> -----

Date: Sun, 17 Jul 2011 15:17:08 -0700 (PDT)
From: Dave Pearce <daveryu at yahoo.com>
To: rick at linuxmafia.com
Subject: Re: A Request

Hi Rick,

I'm not at home at the moment, so I'm going from memory.  The case and
CPU fans did spin up.  There were also lights on the motherboard.  Off
the top of my head I cannot recall if there were beeps or not.

I might mention that I connected with a KMV switch to use the monitor
and such.  Would that make a difference?  The bare parts were as
follows:

Motherboard (mounted in the case)
Power Supply (also already mounted)
1 stick of RAM (4GB)
Processor & Cooler
Hard drive (as yet unmounted)

There is not yet an optical drive.  I didn't build with one in mind,
intending this to be a peripheral system.  I "borrowed" from my main
machine to run the Ubuntu install disk (verified as a good copy).  The
case has no speaker in it that I could see.  I will re-check everything
when I get back home (study sessions are painful but necessary).
Another thought; if it turns out tha tthere is no speaker in the case,
is there one always on the motherboard, or is there an alternative that
I can use to get a POST beep?

I really appreciate the help.  The more I learn, the better I'll be able
to help others and also troubleshoot when I have problems.

Dave