[conspire] Two technical questions

Nick Moffitt nick at zork.net
Tue Jan 11 01:07:06 PST 2011

Rick Moen:
> I'm assuming that it integrates only with user applications compiled
> to use GNOME services.

I'm not sure where in the toolset it lives, but one of the GNOME
services provides a gpg key agent that behaves much like an ssh agent.
When I run "dpkg-buildpackage -S -sa" to build a signed source package,
I get a friendly popup telling me exactly which process wants to use my
private gpg key for something, and if I approve I should enter the
passphrase.  It's a lot like the ssh agent you get for free in GNOME.

I have options to cache my decrypted key in memory for a limited time,
and I usually just manually click "OK" each time the dsc-signing program
runs.  It can save me a lot of trouble when I need to sign or decrypt a
lot of items in a reasonably short period of time.  It provides GNOME
interfaces, but happily enhances command-line tools.

But as I said, I've long since lost track of which of the
get-it-for-free key management agents in a standard GNOME session are
from Seahorse or from some other piece of code.