[conspire] Two technical questions

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Mon Jan 10 14:54:49 PST 2011

Quoting Ruben Safir (ruben at mrbrklyn.com):

> I have two technical question to ask that have been puzzling me for a
> while I was hoping someone can give me an understandable answer to them
> in about 2 paragraphs, and this list has the best technologists with
> free software that I know of.  I'll break this into two different
> threads for convinence.
>
> First, can someone explain to me what Seahorse is and how it might be
> useful?

(Disclaimer:  Never used it.  Never even installed it.)

I'm guessing that it's one good intention marred by GNOME-style
overengineering and baroqueness.

That is, practically anyone who's used GNU Privacy Guard (gpg, gnupg)
has been struck with the thought 'Ye gods, this thing has a terrible
user interface.  Maybe there's some suitable front-end software I can
use to evade the ugliness.'

Seahorse is a gtk+ and gnomelibs to manage gpg keychains and keyservers;
encrypt, decrypt, and sign text messages (and files); and cache and
supply your keyphrase.  It also performs similar services for SSH, which
I'd guess is probably functionality that was added later.

I'm assuming that it integrates only with user applications compiled to
use GNOME services.