[conspire] Browser 'Wars'

Don Marti dmarti at zgp.org
Thu Feb 10 19:43:58 PST 2011

begin Rick Moen quotation of Thu, Feb 10, 2011 at 06:55:41PM -0800:

> I briefly considered lavishing an entire slide on how lame, stupid, and
> useless Mozilla Corporation's 'do not track header' is, but figured that
> was obvious and also largely redundant to other material in my SVLUG
> talk.

You can't rely on an HTTP load balancer to preserve
the RFC3514 evil bit*, but it will generally pass
HTTP headers.  DNT gives you similar protections to
what RFC3514 support on the server side does, but
can be handled at the client/web application level
and doesn't require RFC3514 support in any firewalls
between your client system and the web site.

  * http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3514

--
Don Marti
http://zgp.org/~dmarti/