[conspire] (forw) Re: ubuntu 11.04 ssd drive for boot disk + hard disk for rest

Nick Moffitt nick at zork.net
Thu Aug 4 02:15:26 PDT 2011

Rick Moen:
> In my work environment, some co-workers have gotten enormous benefit
> from putting, say, their Linux homedirs on SSD so that apps that
> manage high-traffic indexes, e.g., Mozilla Thunderbird, maintain those
> indexes on the high-speed SSD drive instead of on the relatively pokey
> hard drive, thus saving a lot of time when searching and sorting mail.

A colleague of mine has a ~/var/ that's a symlink over to a directory of
his on an SSD.  He surgically symlinks large cache type files (such as
the sqlite session dbs for firefox, IMAP caches, etc) over there, while
the sort of data he'd want to back up stay over on a low-RPM spindle.

With distributed VCS, he's started keeping all his source trees in
~/var/src/ as well, because any important code is already pushed up to a
server with server-quality storage and backups.

--
"Man, if everything were object-oriented then rsync
could do this already. Of course, if everything were