[conspire] Idiot waiver demands

Keith Wood kw6 at xmission.com
Fri Sep 24 20:36:18 PDT 2010

I used to volunteer with the American Red Cross, and probably spent a
couple of thousand hours over the years working disaster communications.

That ended a couple of years ago, when they demanded that all volunteers
go through a background AND CREDIT check, with a waiver which allowed
the third-party credit place to do ANYTHING THEY CHOSE with the private
information that I was supposed to provide and anything that they turned
up in the checks.

I wrote ARC and essentially said "Let me get this straight:  You won't
call me to come work for you at disasters -- bringing my thousands of
dollars' worth of ham gear, computers, vehicles and other equipment --
unless I have a high enough credit rating . .?  If there is anyone who
should prove anything, it's YOU.  Lose my phone number and email address."

Since then, I have done commo for SATERN (Salvation Army Team Emergency
Radio Network), but when ARC calls me I just laugh and hang up.

Keith R. Wood