[conspire] hard drive durability decreasing?

Tony Godshall tony at of.net
Fri Oct 22 10:54:48 PDT 2010

Hmmm.  Went to Fry's and found zero drives with longer than 2yr.

Went to Best Buy and found two models with five year warranties- on
*close out*.  All the obvious ones had one to three year warranties
hidden in fine print.

Wonder if that means quality is cheapening (per my theory previously
mentioned here as to warranty length being the only objective proxy
for quality your typical person with a hype-filter has).

If you don't do RAID[1] and backups[1][2] of your important stuff,
people, today's a good day to start!

Tony

[1] in your (immobile) boxes, anyway.  not many of us have laptops
with multiple drives

[2] for your mobile *and* immobile boxes of course, and yes, like Rick
says, no point in backing up OS-provided and transient cache files-
see his recent message to his strategy there- I concur 100%