[conspire] broken screen

Luke S Crawford lsc at prgmr.com
Wed Oct 20 17:19:37 PDT 2010

Ehud Kaldor <ehud.kaldor at gmail.com> writes:

> my wife's Acer Aspire One (AOD150) broke its screen (technically, i was at
> fault) and i am looking to replace it. anyone knows where i can find good
> service for that? and pricing?

so a while back I cracked the screen of my ThinkPad (x60s) -  I tried to
send it in for warranty support, but apparenty damage caused by getting stepped
on by a fat man isn't covered.  they wanted $700 for a new screen,
which is more than what I paid for the whole laptop on ebay to begin with.

anyhow, central computers said they could do it for $300 if I
remember correctly,  but after a week (apparently that screen is somehow
odd or hard for them to get ahold of?)  i took my laptop back and ordered
a new screen from ebay.  It was $60 or $70 I think.   I replaced it myself.
It was pretty easy, maybe two hours or so, but I think when I put it in
I messed up my wi-fi antenna, as to this day I get crap wifi reception
on the thing.   But the evdo modem and everything else works just
fine.