[conspire] OpenOffice.org -> LibreOffice, round two

Don Marti dmarti at zgp.org
Wed Oct 20 08:53:01 PDT 2010

begin Rick Moen quotation of Wed, Oct 20, 2010 at 12:17:08AM -0700:
> Quoting jim (jim at systemateka.com):
>
> >    Someone recently made the claim that the Open Office
> > Suite was _THE_ largest class hierarchy in the world.
> >    'zat true?
>
> Don't know -- but it's at least a little credible.  At minimum, it's
> known to be a real bear of a codebase.

Here's the fun part: _server_-side OpenOffice.  If you
thought it was difficult to handle on the desktop...

For example:

  "OpenOffice is a cross-platform office application
  suite. Alfresco uses OpenOffice to transform
  files from one format to another, for example,
  from Microsoft Word to PDF. OpenOffice.org is
  free to download.  OpenOffice is an optional
  installation that provides access to a range of
  document transformations in Alfresco."

  http://wiki.alfresco.com/wiki/Setting_up_OpenOffice_for_Alfresco

At first, it looks like the OO customer base doesn't
matter at all -- it's just a bunch of desktop Linux
users and low-budget MSFT Windows users.  But there
are a bunch of corporate CMS users clicking "view as
PDF" or whatever, and depending on it.

(We'll probably have to wait and see who ends up
with what parts of Novell before we'll be able to
tell which way server-side OO will jump.)

--
Don Marti
http://zgp.org/~dmarti/
dmarti at zgp.org