[conspire] Xubuntu 10.10 and xfce4-terminal

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Wed Oct 13 16:50:25 PDT 2010

Quoting Roger Chrisman (roger at rogerchrisman.com):

> Is there a default XFCE alias for xfce4-terminal, maybe something like "term"?
[..]
> No matter, xfce4-terminal is present and works as long as you know how
> to call it.

If I understand correctly, you're asking why it was difficult, i.e., why
you had to know to specify the exact phrase 'xfce4-terminal' within that
launcher you were creating, in order to add 'Terminal' to XFCE4's Panel.
You're asking if there is some other, simpler and more obvious alias for
XFCE4's 'Terminal' program (at least, as packaged by Xubuntu) that's
valid within Panel.

Reading up a bit, I see that the Panel pops up Add New Items:  I believe
there's an option to show Application Icons somewhere in there, and,
after doing that, you'll notice an obvious Terminal icon among the
applications whose XFCE4 icons are thus displayed.  Apparently, by
default, you see icons for qualifying (XFCE4-compliant) executables in
/usr/bin.

I'm betting that the actual binary executable is, in fact,
/usr/bin/xfce4-terminal .

So, if the essence of your question is 'Why isn't it made easy to
add Terminal in the Panel launcher-creation screen's Add New Items
dialogue?', then I'd say candidate answers include:

  1.  Somebody screwed up.
  2.  Somebody's package QA disregards shell users.

These are not mutually exclusive.  ;->

Personal opinion:  Although it might seem annoying in the short term to
need to know a desired application's binary executable name, in the long
term it's A Good Thing.

Anyhow, I'm glad Xubuntu 10.10 worked for you!