[conspire] ubuntu and b43 problems

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Mon Nov 8 14:04:57 PST 2010

Quoting Ehud Kaldor (ehud.kaldor at gmail.com):

> regarding the modem itself - you're preaching to the choir. this is a
> work-issued laptop, and i cannot control or change what goes into it.

I didn't know it was work-issued, but, even those, you can (if you care
enough) buy a cheap replacement wireless thing of some sort, insert it
while the laptop's issued to you, and put the original back when you
return it.

Anyhow, I was really speaking to the general situation, that I sometimes
see, of Linux users working their asses off for untold hours to support
brand-new chipsets, when it's more prudent to just substitute a less
challenging component.  I.e., your time and trouble are surely worth
something, too.